Thursday, February 23, 2006

Michelle Denise Pfeffer

Tuesday morning I walked into my office after teaching class at about 9:15. I picked up my cell phone and saw that my fiance, Sarah, had called me six times. My roommate (who had moved out in mid-November) and both and Sarah and my friend, Michelle Pfeffer, had just had a stroke, related to her treatments for cancer. I won't go into the details, because they are not as important as the person. Michelle passed away late that afternoon, surrounded by her family and friends.

I just want to say that Michelle was a truly decent person. Her ability to do what she felt needed to be done and further, what was right, was only matched by her incomparable positiveness. You could not frown around Michelle - god knows I tried. I know that whatever fate awaits the finest of our species, whatever awaits the resting souls of the most kind, the most loving, the most gentle, the most compassionate, that is to say the most (to use the most overused word in the lexicon) good human beings, I know that she is nestled there.

We all miss you very, very much Michelle.

No comments: