Friday, October 14, 2005

OKGo

I can't remember exactly when I went to see They Might be Giants, but I do know it was in the Bijou Theater in Knoxville, TN and that I went to the show immediately after teaching. So there I was, drinking Guinness, wearing a sweatervest and waiting to hear the only American rock band I know of that uses an accordion. That is when the opening band came out and completely rocked the house. Seriously. Like, open-mouth rocking. Their name was OKGo and I immediately became a diehard fan. Their website is http://www.okgo.net/. They are high energy, straight solid rock - you'll have a hard time isolating their influences because they are so damn many. If you're a fan of 1970s rock, you'll smile. If you're a fan of 1980s and 1990s MTV jonx, you'll smile till your face hurts. My recommendation, check out their 2002 self-titled album (OKGo) first, then move on to the slightly mellower 2005 release (Oh No). I can't say it more plainly. If you like real rock-and-roll, the kind that is an endangered species these days, OKGo is the answer to your prayers.

No comments: