Monday, October 17, 2005

Scott Miller and the Commonwealth


So I was looking through the CDs at a Barnes & Noble around four years ago, looking for something I'd never heard, you know, to jumpstart the ol' neurons. Then I saw an album cover with the seal of the Commonwealth of Virginia on it and the title Thus Always to Tyrants, which is a translation of the state motto, Sic Semper Tyrannis. I was befuddled, so I put down the CD and walked away. Then I came back, picked it up again, then put it down again. This continued for give or take twenty minutes. Finally I picked it up, as well as some other album which I have long since forgotten, checked out, and headed to the car. The music was so damn good, however, that I didn't just go home as I had originally intended, but spent two hours driving around and listening to certain tracks over and over.

If you're interested, Scott Miller is a staple of the music scene of the Smokies in general and Knoxville in particular, but he hails originally from Swoope, VA - don't worry, I had to look it up too. . . its in the Shenandoah, just west of Staunton (pronounced STAN-ton, for all you flatlanders). He's also an alum of William & Mary where he majored in, get this, Russian. Loves Pushkin. Layers upon layers.

The Commonwealth produces a unique sound, Southern Rock that's been forcefed on a diet of Bluegrass and Alt rock, like if George Jones had been writing for Matchbox 20 - oh, and if they hired a church organist who practices hellacious soul in secret (in the dark after the Wednesday night dinner is all cleaned up). Okay, not a good characterization, but you get the picture. For the uninitiated, I've got a key resource. The Commonwealth's website is http://www.thescottmiller.com/; in particular, read Scott Miller's journal and listen to samples in the music section. . . their newer stuff seems a little harder, a bit more straight rock (though jazz and soul influences seem to be growing). Regardless, check'm out. Its worth it for the enormous mule on the front page, if nothing else.

No comments: