Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Apology & Crito

I have long prided myself on being relatively well-read when it comes to the classics. That said, I am still aghast at my ignorance in comparison to the average scholar of the 19th Century (I read works by Westerners prior to the 20th Century and I feel humbled constantly). So, rather than resting on my metaphorical laurels, I continue my quest to improve myself by reading the great ones. I am still working my way through part of Tacitus, and currently I have three other books open - a collection of pre-Socratic Greek philosophical tracts (I admit, I am utterly disinterested in most, since most tend to be obsessed with describing the natural world absent human beings), a collection of the great speeches of Cicero (the Roman statesman), and a collection of Plato's Socratic dialogues. Last night, as I worked my way through the latter I finally found the opportunity to read the Socratian Apology and Crito (as written by Plato) in its entirety. Let me tell you a little about it.

First, the Apology is named ironically. Socrates is pointing out that he's been falsely accused, his accuser (Meletus) is a corrupt fiend, and that if the Athenian jury (of 501 men) finds Socrates guilty, well, they are corrupt too. Well, let's just say this makes for great rhetoric, but ol' Socrates, well, he was found guilty nonetheless.

I won't try to explain why Apology is important in purely philosophical terms - I'm not smart enough and I'm certainly not inclined to do it.

That said, in practical political terms, Apology matters because it demonstrates the practical use of religion in legislation and/or judicial proceedings - to justify the manipulation, disempowerment, disenfranchisement, and/or "elimination" of political, economic, or social competitors. In other words, it is the quoting of scripture to enforce tyranny. Praise Socrates and Jefferson.

As to the Crito, well, this is a much simpler text. Socrates has been condemned to death. His friend Crito has come to beg him to flee Athens rather than submit to his punishment. And Socrates insists on following the course, becoming a martyr, and thus guaranteeing his survival in the future, including inspiring such great men as Ghandi and Martin Luther King, Jr. (not to mention presaging the greatest pacifist in Western history, Jesus). You've got to read it. Its beautiful for entirely different reasons than the Apology.

I went to a used bookstore and went crazy, spending $1.50 for the complete dialogues of Socrates (again, as written by Plato) and the Apology in book form. Also, you can download them from the net, thanks to the great Project Gutenberg, for free.

No comments: