Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Killers

Okay kids, I don't know a plethora about the Killers and I don't have a plethora of time (I am headed for a little chop of the mop) - just be prepared to open your ears. They have a four album discography (I only own one, the Hot Fuss special edition album). That said, they rock. Their music is solid rock and roll, spiced with flavors originating in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The ecclectic feeling of it, if not the music itself, reminds me of early U2 and contemporary OKGo and Prince - well-educated brilliant work.

To add:
1) In many ways, the Killers are like Cake or those albums by the Dave Matthews Band that get less radio airtime: you have to listen to each song three or four times before your brain goes, ho ho ho. . . Merry ^&%$#@ Christmas!. Give them the chance they deserve.
2) Listen to "Mr. Brightside" first. Trust me. You'll listen to it twelve or thirteen times in a row immediately after that first time. I know I did.

Okay, as to links: you can get their videos and discography from their home page (though I'd imagine their homesite is murder to navigate without a high-speed connection - just a warning). Further, they''ve got four fantastic songs on myspace.com. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Smith!

I just saw a twelve year-old girl walking down the street listening to her Walkman.

I said, "Little girl, what's that you're listening to?"

She replied, "The Killers."

And I said, "Oh yeah, you guys do listen to them, don't you."

Quietly, with an almost sad face, she told me, "We have to. It's the music of our demographic. I mean, we've been listening to The Killers and Yellowcard and Blink 182 and Dashboard Confessional and Fall Out Boy and Scissor Sisters and all their ilk for like 5 years now. I think I'm ready for something that isn't pseudo-intelligent faux punk pop gagged out by record labels who know we'll just lap this stuff up like it was four-dollar heroin."

As the little girl walked away, I couldn't help but think she was far wiser than the average twelve year-old...

And also that she needed to get with the times and buy a G.D. iPod.

Walkman? Please.

Anonymous said...

I should also add that, being a twelve year-old girl myself, I do actually like The Killers.

...I failed to mention it while coming up with that little parable.