Thursday, March 09, 2006

Un-Governments

I am utterly, morbidly, and absolutely fascinated by states that lack international recognition. I know, I know, it is an odd thing to be obsessed with, but there it is. That said, I was talking about this obsession last night with my friend Doug (who just got funding for graduate school, buya), and so I decided to put together a list of my favorite official secessionist and rebel websites. Hooray! It ain't complete because half of them don't have the "net," but it is awesome. And the FBI will probably investigate you for looking at them.

Somaliland: Northwest Somalia, differentiated from the rest of Somalia by two key factors, 1) the historic experience of British, rather than Italian, colonialization and 2) a sweet website.

Nepalese Maoists: Dude, Maoists. In 2006? Thats so Cold War.

Taiwan: Sure sure sure. They're still the RoC (that's Republic of China, not the mythological winged beast). Whatever. The best farce in interstate politics.

Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus: Man, their website makes me want to write incredibly, fantastically, mangnificantly long adjective-noun phrases. Wicked, pimping, cool jonx.

Nagorno-Karabakh Republic: I think this is where they were doing all that stuff in Spies Like Us.

Abkhazia: I think this country was in Lord of the Rings. I mean, their flag. . . seriously.

South Ossetia: Trying to get out of Georgia. Not the state, the state. Er. Yeah.

Pridnestrovian Moldovan Republic: Clayman used to date a girl named Pridnestrovia.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Is it Ossetia that the Russians have some military build-up there because they are trying to jepordize Georgia's stability? I remember Jennings talking about a region...but I can't remember now. Anyhow, I really liked this post! I'm obsessed with Turkmenistan at the moment...have you read Niazov's interpretation/rewrite of the Koran? If you haven't you should check it out. He's making all the little Turkmen kiddies learn it.