Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Drunk and Chinese Political Philosophy

Tonight, this every evening, my friend Mr. Armbrister called me. He was, um, not so much drunk as much as very un-sober. Which is cool. Cause its Wednesday.

Regardless, as he always does, he makes fun of me for studying China at Emory & Henry and UVA. Ah, some jokes just never die. Even when they are incoherent. And stuff.

Which made me start to think - I have probably not talked enough about the Middle Kingdom in this here blog (pronounced "bù luò gé" in the tongue of the Han folk - according to the "internet").

What to say, though, what to say?

I paced. I paced and I paced and then I paced some more. I went through two Diet Mountain Dews. I cursed my television for having inferior programing options. Rage was my mantra.

Then I thought of it. I will give the great works to you that my old mentor at Virginny, the great Dr. Ronald Dimberg, gave to me.
Backstory: The single best course I had at Virginia was my first semester of my first year, a course on Chinese political philosophy of the Zhou (pronounced "Joe") and Qin (pronounced "Chin") Dynasties. We read a host of works from this period, all of which fascinated me as intellectually powerful alternatives to Western political philosophy. It was, frankly, like the first moment I used a blade to scrape and shape paint on a canvas - everything was familiar, but alien at the same time - the effect was vaguely intoxicating. I dunno'. Regardless, I sat and read for hours on end in the various libraries, reading and, frankly, re-reading these works and, I believe, they were the single most important contributors to my understanding the differences between Western and Sinic political thought. Perhaps I'm wrong.

If you liked Buddhism, you'll like -

Taoist Works:


If you liked the non-racist, cool parts of the South, you'll like -

Confucian Works:
The Doctrine of the Mean:
James Legge's Translation
Charles Muller's Translation

The Great Learning:
Charles Muller's Translation
The Classic of Filial Piety:
James Legge's Translation
Kungfuzi (Confucius):
James Legge's Translation
Charles Muller's Translation

Mengzi (Mencius):
James Legge's Translation
Charles Muller's Translation

Xunzi:
(Unfortunately, no complete translations are available on the web. Sorry.)
Patricia Ebrey's Presentation

If you liked Jesus then you'll like -

Moism:


If you liked Machiavelli and Hobbes, you'll like -

Legalism:
Hanfei Zi:
(Sadly, no one seems to have a complete version online, so the following are mere selections)
W.K. Liao's Translation (Mis-cited?)
Assorted Translations


Enjoy.

No comments: