Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Avalanches

Now, I don't know a whole lot about The Avalanches. From what I can tell (primarily from their website), and I may be wrong here, they're an Aussie band. They do techno with a humorous twist. They have only done one major album, which of course they've produced eighty-eleven times. They seem to be mildly insane. If you doubt this, check out their most popular song (and its video) "Frontier Psychiatrist" and their more Fatboy Slim (on a downer) "Since I left You." You will not doubt me again.

Their sound is definitively techno - in partcular "Frontier Psychiatrist" leaves you wondering what they're sampling and what is original, or if they are dealing entirely with found material - creating some sort of sonic collages.

Tell you what. Read the following quote and then decide if you want to listen or not. You will. I know you. We're in the trust tree. We're in the nest. Lock it up.

". . . tighten your buttocks, pour juice down your chin, I promised my girlfriend I could play the violin. . . Frontier Psychiatrist"

No comments: