Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Chuck, Christ, and a Modern Sci-Fi American Mythology

So, there I am, sitting in my cabin's living room, watching football and drinking wine, when the phone rings. On the phone is a man I can only describe as a living Muppet. This inebriated, Muppet-Human interbreed is giddy (in the background my brother is also slightly drunk and yelling light, amusing obscenities) and can't seem to speak slowly enough to actually communicate anything. I encourage him to calm down and find his qi, and ultimately he does. He tells me that my little brother in my fraternity, a man name Charles "Chuck" Clark has dedicated enormous time and effort to building a diorama which can only be described as unusual. In this diorama the Baby Jesus is presented with gifts amidst the legendary Battle of Hoth (in which the Rebellion was driven into exile by Imperial Stormtrooper forces). Furthermore, certain key elements of the classic Christmas story were represented by major figures of the Star Wars saga (e.g. Yoda is the Star of Christmas).

This is just the beginning, however.

Chuck then had posted his collection on-line, at a website called RebelScum.Com, a Star Wars fansite. I don't have the internet at home (I'm "poor") but I knew what needed to be done. I picked up my laptop merely three days later and went to a Krystal's (on the strip in Knoxville, TN) where I ordered a soda and a Krystal Chik sandwich. After checking my much-neglected e-mail, I checked out the site, and you know what, its pretty interesting (see it here). First, I didn't find any baby Jesus (though I may have missed a symbolic baby Jesus, such as the helpless C3-P0 carried by Chewbacca, circa the Cloud City, The Empire Strikes Back) but I did find an AT-AT walker with a wreath on its, um, grill, like tractor trailer. Also, all the inhabitants of the undertree kingdom (heh) had presents they were presenting to one another, even as they looked primed for imminent combat. This I found reminiscent of that one time in the First World War when the Germans and French declared a cease-fire for Christmas and exchanged gifts and played soccer (on the ice-planet Hoth). Is this thing a little weird? Yeah, it is. But you know what, its exactly the kind of thing the internet is great for - eccentricity. So, even though its 2006 and you're already forgetting what your grandma got you for Christmas (or any of the other assorted holidays of the November-through-December period), check this out. You might just feel your Holiday spirit revived for just a minute - As Tiny Tim said, "May the Force Be With You, One and All."

No comments: