Friday, January 06, 2006

Billy Blog

Let's see - it was the summer of 1999, just temporally removed enough to make me feel on alternative days that it was either yesterday or that it was approximately 65 million years ago. It was hot (old people were dying of heat stroke in Chi-Town) that summer, I was in intensive language school at Beloit College. One day I decided to hell with Chinese, I was going to 1) take advanatage of the first high-speed internet connection I'd ever had and 2) I was going to get drunk'r than hell. I went to the Wal-Mart (yes, my Southern friends, the Wal-Mart) and bought a fifth of SoCo, went home, and snuggled up to a warm, glowing computer monitor. I found a number of sites that night, but only three come to mind. First, and at first blush my favorite was Joe Cartoon. . . I mean, what recent frat boy wouldn't giggle at a foul-mouthed hamster in a blender? Later, however, Joe took on advert after advert and I have long since ceased to look in on his work. Second was Bogbeast, one of those sites that the administrator seems to have lost interest in, but worth a look to this day, assuming its up and running that day (and you're not in Krystal where they edit all the really cool stuff in an act of “child-protection.” $#!&.).
All that said, the best of the sites I found in terms of durability and real quality (and your ability to look at it at work and in Krystal) is Billy Blob. Think of it as one of those instances wherein an artist, on a whim, learns to krank the net. There are movies (see “Karma Ghost” in particular, especially for the rock-solid music), there’s fine art, and there are printable banners (just the sort of thing that’s perfect for decorating a single pad or affixing to a public bathroom wall in an act of semi-sophomoric, semi-gloss rebellion), and so forth. If you don’t like this website, then you hate me. Seriously. You bastard.

No comments: