Thursday, April 27, 2006

Neil Scott Johnson

So there I was, in New York City, in Smith's Bar & Restaurant, surrounded by my students, about fifty assorted Northern-folk, three women from Louisiana, and a waiter named Denis from Siberia who apparently is a fan of Mexican liquor. We're debating leaving and we're debating staying, when a band starts to set up. The band's name? The Neil Scott Johnson Band.

They played Southern rockabilly country-rock.

In New York.

I don't know how else to characterize it. They're live show is great. Their recorded music, which you can hear or buy here (I have the album 5), is pretty solid - definitely worth a listen - its pretty good stuff, nothing that'll change the world, perhaps, but good all-around.

The website only has a clip of it, but don't miss, in particular, "Last Call for Fools in Love." I dig that jonx.

My only complaint is that they didn't know George Jones' "Yabba Dabba Doo," a song that might of well have been written for their style of play. Hawg wyld.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They've been playin the same 24 songs for the past 7 years. Although they are good - they WERE better. As a (once) faithful follower, I enjoyed the music. Now, you can see them once a year and see the same show again.
Good Luck to the NSJ guys...