Thursday, April 20, 2006

Zachariah

This one is going to be weird. I mean, more than usual.

You know I love zombies. Its a fact. Submit.

Well, I was in Abingdon a few weeks ago. Yeah. That's the ticket. So, there I am in Abingdon and my brother wants to go to K-mart. You remember K-mart, that species of superstore that roamed the earth in the millenia before Wal-Mart and Target. Regardless, I'm in K-mart, and there, before my eyes, is a zombie flick I've never heard of. Its called Dead and Breakfast and its supposed to be (emphasis on "supposed") the American answer to the brilliant, hilarious, dare I say it, uproarious (?) Shaun of the Dead. Hell, the credits listed Portia de Rossi from Arrested Development, arguably one of the five or six best comedies ever. So I bought it.

Dammit.

Okay, don't see the movie. Or do, if you want just good ol' goofy zombie blood-jonx. But if you're looking for a smart flick? Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeahno.

All that said, there's this guy, Zachariah, who, along with his band the Lobos Riders (not to be confused with "Los" Lobos [non-riders]). Who cranks out the majority of the soundtrack. Which ain't half bad. How to characterize it. Hmm. California-interpertation, Western country (as opposed to country Western), white-rap-infused, rockabilly. Yeah. That.

It is insane. It is pop (not quite bubble-gum, harboring around, I dunno', Twizzlers - chewy). And frankly, it ain't Mozart. But it is entertaining (hell, it got me through that entire movie). So, check out their homepage - there's quite a bit of groove-juice there, though admitedly the quality is less than ideal. Also, they're on mySpace (doy, I suppose - oh, and the samples here are of a much higher quality, though there are fewer of them). Don't demand traditional country music and you'll be pleased. Maybe. I dunno'. Don't miss "We're Coming to Kill Ya'" (that's right) or "Tuscon Afternoon."

Also, he looks like Trivia-Guy. Inside joke.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, Dead & Breakfast stars Ever Carradine (as well as her uncle, David).

How does a girl as hot as Ever form from the same genetic material that spawned her father Robert "Skolnick" Carradine?

Don't get me wrong, I think Bob Carradine is just about the best nerd-turned-goofy dad actor that Hollywood has to offer. I like the guy. But the Carradine family is hardly known for its refined features and attractive visages.

My point? Ever Carradine is reasonably hot.

And as zombie film lovers, Eric, you and I can agree on that.