Thursday, June 15, 2006

Historical Anatomies

I love macabres and calaveras. Love 'm. Am I obsessed with death? Sure, a little. But that is probably to be expected of someone whose first horribly painful near-death experience was at the age of five. Huzzah!

Anyway, ever since I did a paper on Renaissance anatomist Vesalius for my mentor Dean James Dawsey (a truly great man, no joking aside) at glorious Emory & Henry, well, I have become equally fascinated with the artwork of anatomy and physiology. Here is a kind of art/craft that joins science and art more completely than virtually any other (even if the other arts utilize science to an incredible extent).

Well, when I came upon this website, I knew I had to add it to the ol' Blog. Historical Anatomies on the Web, you say? No, surely not! Yes, surely so! But the title, Eric, you're saying, so boring, so "humdrum." Look at the website, I declared loudly.

Whoa. Sorry. . . I was slipping into poorly written drama mode. Apologies.

Anyway, check out the site. I know its a little odd, but if you're not fascinated by the material, well, I just don't know what will fascinate you. Chief.

1 comment:

cechols said...

Saints alive, man!

You've genuinely found a goldmine here, Smith. I think this is my favorite post of yours - ever.

William Cheselden is now my personal savior.

Thanks.