Thursday, June 29, 2006

Sea Serpents

I have been to Loch Ness. Let me repeat that for you, because I really like to say it. I have been to Loch Ness. I have ridden across the lake in a boat and I have gazed down at the lake from the top of a centuries old castle. I have stood on the rocky shore of the lake and let the water just barely touch the soles of my shoes then, perhaps instinctively, perhaps neurotically, stepped four or five good paces back. I have been to a place of Monsters.

That is awesome.

All that said, I just found this site on Tinselman's blog. Yeah, there is huge (577 pages) Adobe .pdf file of a late 19th Century zoological masterpiece on sea serpents by a guy with a friggin' awesome name: Anthonid Cornelis Oudemans.

SNAP!


The only man not jealous of that name is Hieronymus Bosch - which is what I'd name my firstborn child if Sarah would let me. But she won't - and we're not even married yet. Damn.

No comments: